We use almost exclusively tooth colored restorative materials for fillings and other tooth restorations. Porcelain inlays and Tooth Colored Restorations (onlays) create fillings that are not only beautiful (or unnoticeable) but also add strength to weakened teeth. These restorations are esthetically pleasing and very strong thanks to new bonding technologies.
Disadvantages of Silver fillings:
Silver fillings have many drawbacks. The edges of the silver filling can wear down, become weak or break. This results in the tooth not being protected and lets cavities get started once again. With age, the metal of a silver filling expands, contracts, and can split.
Fortunately, silver fillings can safely be replaced with Tooth-Colored Restorations.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored Restorations
There are many advantages to tooth-colored restorations. They are bonded to the teeth creating a tight, superior fit to the natural tooth. Such restorations can be used in instances where much of the tooth structure has been lost. The tooth remains intact and stronger.
Since the resin used in tooth-colored restorations contain fluoride this can help prevent decay. The resin wears like natural teeth and does not require placement at the gum line, which is healthier for your gums!
The result is a beautiful smile!
Replacing large Silver Fillings with a Tooth Colored Restoration
You can have your silver fillings replaced with tooth-colored restorations. This process requires two appointments.
Your First Appointment:
- The old filling is removed along with any additional decay.
- An impression is made of your teeth with a digital scanner or impression material.
- A temporary is placed on the tooth.
In the Lab: A restoration is carefully designed on the computer using the digital model of your teeth.
Your Second Appointment:
- The temporary is removed.
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new restoration.
- Bonding cement is placed on the restoration and a high intensity light bonds the resin to the tooth.
- The excess resin is then removed and the tooth cleaned.
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!